The governments of the Export Credit Agencies, members of the Paris Club, will take part in this initiative and suspend payments during the period May 1 – December 31, 2020.
Only maturities under already agreed Paris Club Agreements
The initiative will only affect maturities due under already agreed Paris Club Agreements, so called PRD (Previously Rescheduled Debt) and will not affect new contracts that are currently being honored under ongoing and recently finished projects.
At this stage only Official Bilateral Creditors are affected. Private creditors will be called upon to participate on a voluntary basis.
Terms for the debt service suspension initiative for the poorest countries:
- Scope of beneficiary countries are all IDA countries and all least developed countries as defined by the United Nations, that are current on any debt service to the IMF and the World Bank.
- The duration of the suspension of payment is until the end of 2020 with an opening for creditors to consider a possible extension, taking into account a report on the liquidity needs of eligible countries by the World Bank and IMF.
- The suspension period will start on May 1, 2020.
- Both principal repayments and interest payments will be suspended.
- A cut-off date protecting new financing in case of possible future restructuring will be set on March 24, 2020.
- The repayment period will be 3 years, with a one-year grace period (4 years total).
Malin Alm Gerentz