Concerning media coverage of EKN’s decision relating to Belarus
In conjunction with EKN’s decision to withdraw conditional offers for guarantees for exports to Belarus with the buyers RUE Minskenergo and RUE Brestenergo, inaccuracies have been reported in the media. The following information is correct:
- EKN receives no appropriations a nd is solely financed by guarantee holders’ premiums. EKN has never comprised a cost for Swedish tax payers.
- EKN has not issued any guarantees and will not do so in the current projects.
- In August 2020, EKN decided to issue offers for guarantees for exports to two gas-fired power plants in Belarus, with the buyers RUE Minskenergo and RUE Brestenergo. The decision was conditional on the projects meeting comprehensive human rights requirements.
- EKN’s human rights requirements for the projects were based on the situation in the country.
- The offers were issued in August/September 2020. Only minor changes of an administrative nature were made for one of the guarantees in January 2021.
- In March 2021, EKN received new information directly from representatives of the Belarusian opposition concerning deficiencies in the work environment and complaint mechanisms, as well as restrictions on freedom of association and the harassment of workers in the current projects.