Nov 20, 2013
CMPC Celulose Riograndense Guaíba 2, Pulp Mill Project in Brazil
The project includes:
- Expansion of existing pulp mill in Guaíba, in the Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul (Guaíba 2 Project).
- Associated transmission line, access road, additional plantations and port expansion.
The expansion will result in an additional production capacity of 1.3 million ton/annum. The raw material will be eucalyptus wood from already established plantations. The project site is located within the fence of the existing pulp and paper mill in a developed area with residential and commercial properties. The majority of workers during the construction phase will be local workers. Noise is projected to stay at today’s levels. These are in accordance with Brazilian legislation but will likely not fulfill IFC’s noise limits. The buyer will therefore investigate additional noise abatement measures.
The Guaíba 2 Project is classified as a category A-project. Additional information on the project’s Environmental and Social (E&S) impacts, EKN’s Environmental and Social review and EKN’s conditions is available in the documents:
1. EKN Summary of the E&S review CMPC Guaíba 2.
2. Environmental and Social Due Diligence Report CMPC Guaíba 2 Project, Environ.
3. Environmental and Social Action Plan CMPC Guaíba, 13 11 13.
The attached information was published on EKN´s website www.ekn.se 2013-11-20. Comments on the project can be made within 30 days. This procedure is in accordance with the OECD Recommendation on Common Approaches for ECAs.